I’ve been neglecting my blog even more than usual since joining CrowdStar last February (working on Happy Island and It Girl), but honestly I haven’t had a ton to report for personal projects. Until yesterday, when I finally released Color Tangle as a standalone flash game on Kongregate and Newgrounds, aFacebook app, a standalone website with Facebook Connect, and an iphone app.
I’d played single-color knot games before, but never had any interest in building one. I was actually working on a prototype for an explosive based game using APE (the same physics engine in Filler) when I had the idea to use APE’s grouping system to create collision rules–particles that collide with some but not all of the other “stuff” on the screen. I whipped up a quick prototype, and instantly recalled other knot games I’d played. It seemed like a perfect fit! I had the “first” level up and running in less than a day. I’d been looking for a simple project (and this is a very simple game) to try a multi-platform (facebook, web, iphone) launch, and this seemed like a perfect candidate.
The next task was building an editor–which took about a week. WIth editor complete and a dozen puzzles or so in hand, I next built out the website from scratch (Ruby on Rails hosted on Heroku). I got to play with Sass and Compass (which are awesome), got to play with the Facebook API (not so awesome), and experimented with the blueprint CSS framework (also awesome). I built a widget using LocalConnection so players on external sites could connect to the game via FB connect (which I thought was pretty damn slick). I even started on the iPhone app using OpenFrameworks, getting it to the point where I could play my handful of levels.
It was right about that point that a recruiter pitched me on joining CrowdStar, and the project just… died. In my year and a half plus at CS, I’ve learned more about web programming and games than any other time in my life, and I really haven’t had a lot of time to tinker.
I could’ve just released it–the flash app was working, the website was working, and the facebook app all worked. But I learned from Filler how important it was to be first to market on mobile, so I just let the project sit for a few months while I threw myself into my work on Happy Island. I jumped off of Happy Island and started working on It Girl in June. Between that and getting married last October, I had no free time at all for tinkering. My schedule finally started cooling off around February/March of this year, so I picked the iPhone version up and “finished” it. The only problem was puzzles. Creating a couple puzzles on most nights, it took me roughly 2 months to get up to the 50 puzzles I thought I needed for launch. I submitted the app to Apple in June and it was approved the first time around. I set a release date of August 25 (my birthday) to give me a couple of months to polish up the webiste.
Having not touched the website code for over a year, the FB API was horribly out of date. I got distracted by another project along the way (look for another iPhone app soon), but my self-imposed deadline of August 25 finally gave me the pressure I needed to get my ass in gear. After a couple of weekends to get everything migrated over from FBML to pure iframe Canvas, I invited a few friends to start testing it last weekend and launched it fully yesterday.
I don’t think it will do all that well on FB (I know just a little more about designing for FB now that I’ve been doing it for a year and half), but I wanted to carry the original project vision through to completion. In the end, it was a really fun technical project, and I really enjoy playing it.